Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Kennebec - KOWABUNGA!

What an incredible day, yesterday!! The Husband and I made it through our first whitewater rafting adventure. We were invited by one of the guys who works with him; Scott who is an expert river guide, along with his brother Kevin, also an experienced river guide, took 15 of us for an awesome river adventure. On our way up to The Forks we saw a moose in a bog. The day was off to a great start. We were both excited and anxious as we headed up the long drive, up river, to the Harris Dam. As this was all new to us there were moments of serious butterflies before we hit the water. My husband shared one of those butterfly moments with me after we were back at the truck changing to dry clothes; it made me giggle and made him all the more endearing to me. It was sweet to know that someone so smart and confident can have such a silly moment. The river was running at 4800 cfs (cubic feet per second). I swallowed my butterflies once we were in the water; it was all business now!! I will not bore you with blow by blow accounts; let's just say there was a lot of paddling and a whole lot of water! LOTS OF WATER!! After the first rapid I gave the husband a big High Five; I am so proud of us for taking the plunge. We traversed through Class III and Class IV rapids before smoothing out to Class II and calmer flows. No one fell out during the rapids. Scott and Kevin were terrific guides! With the strong rains the past few days the water falls were putting on a full show. They pulled off a couple of times so we could get out and explore the falls. One of them had a deep pool that several of them plunged into from the ledges on either side. I choose to bask in the sun on a big rock and watch. As we meandered our way down the river we saw a Bald Eagle soaring above, probably on the hunt for lunch...we were getting hungry too. Kevin spied another one way up in the trees on one of the big bends. They also pointed out an Osprey nest; but no one was home. We all met up at The Marshall's, a quaint eatery and inn. We had certainly worked up an appetite! We headed home for a nap before making a return trip in the evening to Northern Outdoors lodge and brew pub to hear Scott (drummer) and his band Overdrive play. I danced my butt off and maybe a hip! It's been a awhile since we've gone out dancing. I love good live music in these types of venues. We hung out with the drummer's wife and their friends and family. Everybody had a great time. On the long drive back the Husband surprised me when he pulled off into a Christmas Tree farm road and turned the truck off. The sky was bedazzled with the stars. Being so far out we could see the Milky Way in all it's glory. We caught the tail end of the meteor shower; we got see several shooting stars. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day. This one is going into the Jar O'Cheer! I am thrilled to have shared this fantastic and exciting adventure with my man. It puts butterflies in my heart. :) About all I may be able to do today is lift a needle. I am certainly feeling the adventure today. Off to make a big Sunday breakfast. Hoping you have a splendid weekend. Keep on stitching or paddling. P.J. P.S. Will post some pics once they are available.

9 comments:

CalamityJr said...

Sounds wonderful. What fun, and what great memories made with the man you love!

Catherine said...

I am so happy for you!! It sounds perfectly wonderful!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Sounds like a wonderful day and great memory maker

Margaret said...

Wow! What an adventure! Fantastic!

Peggy Lee said...

Felt like I was reading a little part of a love story. So sweet.
Thanks for sharing!

gracie said...

Hello,My husband and I are originally from RI (now in AZ) and he did the rapids at Kennebec many years ago. I got to follow along (on land!) and got to see a very large snake, and many moose at the waters edge. How exciting for you both. It is beautiful country up there....

Penny said...

My husband and I went whitewater rafting a few years ago, and I have to say it was exhilarating. :) It sounds like you and your husband really are having some wonderful times!

Anne said...

WOW! That's so cool that you went riverrafting! I've always been scared of doing it but may get the courage one day!!

Annette-California said...

Wow sounds like you had a incredible wonderful trip. Very happy for and congrats on accomplishing the whitewater rafting:) love Annette